Crafts/DIY

Crafts/DIY
Purple Hues and Me

Friday, March 7, 2014

No Sew Zippered Leather Clutch & Necklace DIY





Have you ever watched Home and Family on the Hallmark channel?  It's very informative and sometimes offers the best DIY and craft segments.  A couple of months ago, Jessie Jane, who has a blog called Lilyshop, and a regular on Home and Family,  showed how to make the cutest little no sew zippered leather  clutches  with just a piece of leather, a zipper and hot glue. I knew I would be trying this out one day, putting my own twist on the how-to.  

 Materials I used:  Faux leather (pleather)  9 1/2"x24"
                           Fabric glue (Fabri-Tac)
                           Zipper - 9 inch


I found the best deals at the JoAnn's near me.  The store is going through a much needed remodel and had a lot of clearance items an additional 80 percent off.  I got carried away finding all sort of goodies.  I picked up several funky looking 9 inch zippers for 20 cents apiece.  I also found almost a yard of faux leather for $2.50 . . .  enough to make several clutches.  

I am not a fan of using hot glue on fabric or on items I want a permanent bond.  I've found some hot glued items can be pulled apart quite easily and the hot glue breaks down eventually.

To start, I wanted a fold over clutch so I cut out a piece of fabric 24 inches long by 9 1/2 inches wide.


I laid out the closed zipper and placed the fabric opening edge on top exactly where the two pieces would be glued together. Next, I put fabric glue on the edge of the pleather and then added some to the length of the zipper and pressed the two together.  I then put weights on the area and allowed the glue to dry for a few hours.



After the first end dried,  I  glued down the other end the same as the first.


After drying, I cut off the ends of the zipper and applied glue to each side of the clutch, one at a time, allowing each side to dry separately, and adding weights on top.  *Sorry, I didn't take pictures of that but I used an old weight belt that belonged to my hubby.



This is the finished look of the clutch.  Since this material had a light color backing which you can see on the edges, I rubbed brown liquid shoe polish over the edges to give it a natural "leather" look.  In hindsight I should have done this before gluing everything together. 


     Since I had so much fabric left  I decided to make a "cut-out" statement necklace . . . something I have been wanting to do for quite a while.                  

 For the pattern, I folded a 6 inch square paper into a 8 petal flower and drew teardrop shapes all over which I cut out.


I removed the top two petals to get the shape I wanted . . .

 
and ran the pattern through my Xylon for an adhesive backing.

 
I laid the adhesive back pattern on the wrong side of the pleather fabric and cut out the design using an xacto knife.

 
I made holes on either side with a puncher and attached an old chain necklace I had.

 
The teardrop shapes that I cut out were glued in a flower pattern to the front flap of the clutch.
 

 
I also thought the necklace needed a little something to dress it up a bit so using E6000 I glued on a few metal beads.
 

 
 I think adding the beads makes the necklace pop!



The clutch and statement necklace were so easy to make and I'm loving how they look . . . so stylish!



Take a little time to enjoy

and

Happy Crafting!

Gail














NEWDIYLargeButton




http://myfashionforwardblog.com/things-pretty-51/PrettyThings

8 comments:

  1. I didn't know that show had crafts. I'll check it out. Your "no-sew" title really caught my eye...you know me and sewing! This purse is lovely and now that I have your easy-to-follow tutorial, I can give it a try....just as soon as I get moved in and organized! You are really good at giving tutorials lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they both look fantastic I'm glad you're using your xyron :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would have thought of making my own clutch. How awesome! I need to get me one of those machines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! I love jewelry tutorials. Please come share at Bacon Time, if you have not already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, and looks sooo easy! I may have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gail, you are so crafty! This clutch is awesome! Thank you for sharing it on "It's Finally Friday" Link-a-Long at www.GoCrochetCrazy.blogspot.com !

    ReplyDelete